Property Buyer / Consumer Resources

Where to start when planning to build or buy a property ?

Buying a home is a major event in one's life. 
Good advice can be found on the Australian Government website:

Here you will find information on:
how much deposit you will require; the best place to save for your deposit and when it is a good time to buy.

** is a major guide for buying, designing, building, renovating in Australia - the  most useful site.

Another practical guide can be found on:

Each state/territory has a different process for buying a property. Find out what is required in you state from:

What is Stamp Duty?
"Stamp Duty is a government tax to be paid by the buyer. The trigger for stamp duty liability is
exchanging of contracts. Usually stamp duty must be paid within 90 days of exchange.If you are obtaining a loan to purchase a property and have included the stamp duty in the loan
amount, you must confirm with your lender if you are able to gain access to that money, for
the purpose of paying stamp duty, prior to settlement.

Stamp duty is calculated as a percentage of the purchase price or the market value (whichever is the greater) of the property, at the date of exchange of the contract for the sale of
residential property" (Reality Guide, A Real Estate Guide for Buyers in ACT, 2008).

Stamp duty is a considerable upfront cost for property buyers to take into consideration when buying a property. 
However, in some states when buying a brand new home or buying a block of land upon which to build,
one saves on or does not pay stamp duty. In these states, stamp duty is paid on established properties.
However, States and Territories differ when it comes to paying Duty and the Rate of Duty payable.

Check out the stamp duty requirements on property purchases in your state:

Be informed before you purchase

Before purchasing any property, download this Due Diligence Checklist Victoria Consumer Affairs Dept.   >

Get advice and tips from Australian /State/Territory Govt. Departments   >

Community Information is available from your local Council office.
   Check with them for any environmental concerns in your area.